About Me
Name: Lauren         Location: Middle Tennessee, USA

Welcome to my blog! I am a Christian, wife, and mother who enjoys reading, running, and all things Disney. Stop by regularly for a glimpse into my life!
My Complete Profile           Email Me


Wednesday, December 5, 2012
Update on Me
It's difficult for me to believe that it's been three years since I started having health issues.  Those of you who have been around for a while will remember that in November of 2009, I started feeling badly and coughing non-stop.  After many months and tests, the doctors determined I had asthma.  Although the asthma medicines did help the coughing, I stayed sick with a constant sore throat and sinus infections throughout 2010. 

Finally, I discovered that I didn't have asthma at all.  Instead, I had severe reflux and digestive issues.  At first, reflux medicines cleared everything up, but in only a few months, I started needing higher dosages to keep everything in check.  In March of 2011, I put myself on a restricted diet known as the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (also known as the GAPS diet).  Amazingly, this diet cleared up MANY of my health issues, even things I had been dealing with for years. 

For the most part, I eat meat, fruits, vegetables, and nuts.  I can have butter, cheese, and homemade yogurt, but no other dairy. Sugar and grains are big no-no's.  For 18 months, I have followed this diet very strictly, with occasional cheats (like every few months).  When I am on this diet, I feel great, but if I cheat, my symptoms return.

Recently, I had a well-visit to check some blood levels--during my health issues I was deficient in D and B12.  After discussing my progress and the effects of occasional cheating, my doctor and I discussed that many of the problems I have when I am cheating (and problems I lived with for years) are signs of celiac disease.  I was tested for celiac earlier this year, but because I had already been off gluten for a year when I was tested, the negative result is not very reliable.  I asked my doctor if she thought I should eat gluten for a while and be retested, but she said that I shouldn't put myself through that.  Basically, she labeled me as non-celiac gluten sensitive and told me not to eat gluten anymore. 

In some ways, this doesn't change my life too much.  I haven't been eating gluten on a regular basis anyway.  I plan to stay away from gluten all the time now, but the diagnosis actually frees me a little bit.  If I limit my occasional indulgences to gluten-free items, I should be able to stay well.  When you are grain-free, dairy-free and sugar-free, it is almost impossible to eat outside your own home.  Now I am able to eat in restaurants, as long as gluten is not in my meal.  It has been great to eat out with friends or to have a treat like a gluten-free cupcake without the negative effects!  While I plan to stick with being sugar-free most of the time, I also want some fun every now and then, and I am happy that sticking with gluten-free options will spare me the consequences that come with throwing all my restrictions out the window!

Having treats like these once in a while is making me smile, and I can do it without the guilt (well, maybe a little guilt, but without the same digestive consequences)!

Gluten-Free Winter Wonderland Cupcake from Gigi's Cupcakes

It's amazing that this journey is at the three year mark, but I am thankful for the experience and the progress.  Although I can't eat in the carefree way that I used to, I am eating much healthier today than I was then, and I've learned a lot about myself.  The process hasn't always been enjoyable, but I am thankful to God for where I am today!

Labels:


  posted at 1:56 PM  
  2 comments



2 Comments:
At December 05, 2012 4:23 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

It was great to read an update on YOU. And I can't believe I've known you for three years already to have heard about the START of your journey. That seems a little.....impossible. :D

And I would like to eat that cupcake.

 
At May 26, 2015 7:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I was thinking about you this last, remembering that you had gone through health issues and had to be on a restrictive diet. I just started the Auto Immune Protocol Diet and boy! now I can relate to what I remember you blogging about! Definitely not fun! I know I have a long journey ahead and Lord willing, the doctors will be able to figure out what is going on- sooner rather than later! Hope you and your family are well! Lauren from Hyperactivelu :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Previous Posts
  • Thanksgiving
  • Fun Fall Family Day
  • Birthday Party
  • Season's End
  • Field Trip
  • Trick-or-Treat!
  • Piano Recital
  • Happy Birthday, Emily!
  • Goin' Buggy
  • Hoot, Scoot & Boogie

  • Categories
  • Blogging
  • Books
  • Children's Books
  • Disney
  • Family and Friends
  • Fun
  • General
  • Hodge Podge
  • Life Lessons
  • Me
  • My Best Girl
  • My Favorite Boy
  • Running
  • Small Talk
  • Wordless Wednesday

  • Archives
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • April 2009
  • January 2010
  • February 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • May 2010
  • June 2010
  • July 2010
  • August 2010
  • September 2010
  • October 2010
  • November 2010
  • December 2010
  • January 2011
  • February 2011
  • March 2011
  • April 2011
  • May 2011
  • June 2011
  • July 2011
  • August 2011
  • September 2011
  • October 2011
  • November 2011
  • December 2011
  • January 2012
  • February 2012
  • March 2012
  • April 2012
  • May 2012
  • June 2012
  • August 2012
  • September 2012
  • October 2012
  • November 2012
  • December 2012
  • January 2013

  • My Reading Pile



    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Images from:
    istockphoto

    Powered by:


    Meter: