About Me
Name: Lauren         Location: Middle Tennessee, USA

Welcome to my blog! I am a Christian, wife, and mother who enjoys reading, running, and all things Disney. Stop by regularly for a glimpse into my life!
My Complete Profile           Email Me


Thursday, August 19, 2010
Chicago, Part One
The first week of August, we went to Chicago for an end-of-summer vacation. We had a wonderful time! The kids had never really been to a BIG city before, and they were amazed by the number of tall buildings and people and cars (and honking) everywhere. Although they thought the busyness was cool, my Favorite Boy did say it's too loud when you are trying to sleep in the city (I agree).

We arrived in Chicago on a Tuesday morning and headed to the Chicago Children's Museum. (We really took advantage of the membership to our local science museum during the trip. Most of the museums we visited have a reciprocal relationship with ours, so we got in free!) The CCM is geared toward young children, so my Best Girl especially liked it. She dug for dinosaur bones, played in the water area, and really enjoyed building things with Tinkertoys and large Erector sets. My Favorite Boy went for the physical activities, and he and Dad enjoyed the super-sized games. However, my Favorite Boy did not enjoy losing to Dad in checkers.

After the museum, we headed to Giordano's for my husbands favorite pizza in the world. I did break my healthy eating for one meal and had a couple of slices. I mean, you can't go to Chicago and not eat pizza, right? The kids couldn't believe how thick it was (we ordered a thin crust cheese pizza for them).

On Wednesday, we split up for some separate activities. My Favorite Boy and Dad went to the Cubs game. Thankfully, Dad now has a camera on his phone, so I have some evidence that they went to Wrigley field. The Cubs won 15-4, so it was a good day at the ballpark. The only downside was that it drizzled for most of the game. They were under the overhang, so they didn't get wet, but my Favorite Boy was hoping to run the bases after the game, and they cancelled this because they didn't want the field to get sloppy.

My Best Girl and I headed to American Girl Place for a special girls' day.

First, we took Sarah (the doll) to get her hair fixed. I was very impressed with most of our experience, but the hair salon was a rip-off. It only took the girl five minutes to finish. I did, however, learn that we should be spraying Sarah's hair with water when we brush it, so at least I got some helpful information.

As funny as it sounds, my Best Girl's favorite part of the American Girl Place was the bathroom. She loved it so much that we visited it four times. It was pink, purple, and completely girly. It was even equipped for the dolls: each stall had a doll holder. This was very well thought out, but amusing at the same time.

Our lunch was my favorite part. The restaurant was adorable, and my Best Girl and I enjoyed our four-course meal. The presentation of the food was so cute (the dessert was chocolate mousse in a flower pot with daisy, a flower shaped cake and butterfly cookie). Even Sarah got to enjoy the food.



We all met up in the afternoon and headed to Navy Pier for fun and fireworks. Both kids enjoyed the putt-putt course (even though it wasn't very nice). I guess it was an easy course because at some point, we all got holes-in-one. My Best Girl and I enjoyed the Ferris wheel while Dad and my Favorite Boy played a second game of putt-putt, and then we all watched the fireworks over Lake Michigan.

Our first two days in Chicago were so much fun! I'll post about the rest of our trip soon!

Labels: , , ,


  posted at 7:37 AM  
  2 comments



2 Comments:
At August 26, 2010 8:38 PM, Blogger Jana @sidetrackd said...

What a fun trip! The doll hangers in the bathroom are hilarious (and, at the same time, a bit disturbing).

 
At August 28, 2010 8:42 PM, Blogger Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Sounds like a great trip! Cubs for the boys and American Girl for the girls sounds perfect :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Previous Posts
  • Kid Picks
  • Woozy
  • First Day of School
  • We Left. We're Back. We're Busy.
  • Some Facts about Me
  • Surprise
  • What's On My Nightstand - July
  • Disney, Day Nine
  • Kid Picks
  • She Likes the Stage, But Not the Spotlight

  • Categories
  • Blogging
  • Books
  • Children's Books
  • Disney
  • Family and Friends
  • Fun
  • General
  • Hodge Podge
  • Life Lessons
  • Me
  • My Best Girl
  • My Favorite Boy
  • Running
  • Small Talk
  • Wordless Wednesday

  • Archives
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • April 2009
  • January 2010
  • February 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • May 2010
  • June 2010
  • July 2010
  • August 2010
  • September 2010
  • October 2010
  • November 2010
  • December 2010
  • January 2011
  • February 2011
  • March 2011
  • April 2011
  • May 2011
  • June 2011
  • July 2011
  • August 2011
  • September 2011
  • October 2011
  • November 2011
  • December 2011
  • January 2012
  • February 2012
  • March 2012
  • April 2012
  • May 2012
  • June 2012
  • August 2012
  • September 2012
  • October 2012
  • November 2012
  • December 2012
  • January 2013

  • My Reading Pile



    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Images from:
    istockphoto

    Powered by:


    Meter: