About Me
Name: Lauren         Location: Middle Tennessee, USA

Welcome to my blog! I am a Christian, wife, and mother who enjoys reading, running, and all things Disney. Stop by regularly for a glimpse into my life!
My Complete Profile           Email Me


Tuesday, July 27, 2010
What's On My Nightstand - July
It's time for the monthly Nightstand carnival at 5 Minutes for Books. For several months, I was in a reading funk (I wasn't feeling well, and we were very busy), but I am starting to get back in the groove. Right now, I am reading two books: Diamond Ruby and What to Eat. Diamond Ruby is a story about a young girl who works in a carnival-type booth to support her family in the early 1920s. I have read about one-fourth of the book, and Ruby has already survived the 1918 flu epidemic and met Babe Ruth. I can't wait to keep reading! What to Eat is an extremely informative book about our American food and grocery system. Both books are great so far, and I plan to review them soon.

In Defense of Food is another food book. Since my reflux diagnosis, I have been reading some great information. I have heard good things about this book, and I am looking forward to learning more.

Between Two Worlds has been on my pile for a while. I didn't put it off deliberately; life just got in the way. It is the story of Roxana Saberi, an Iranian-American journalist, who was held in Iran's notorious Evin Prison. Saberi writes of her imprisonment, trial, and her eventual release. I am sure it will be a gripping tale.

The last book in my pile is The Lovely Bones. A dear friend sent this to me a while back. It was released in 2002, and I think there has even been a movie about it. I guess I am behind the times, but I am sure I will enjoy it all the same.

That's my stack for July. To see what others are reading, visiting the Nightstand carnival at 5 Minutes for Books today!

Labels:


  posted at 6:12 AM  
  11 comments



11 Comments:
At July 27, 2010 8:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

They all sound good. Diamond Ruby sounds really interesting. I love that time-period.

 
At July 27, 2010 8:30 AM, Blogger TheBookGirl said...

I read Marion Nestle's book a while ago and really enjoyed it. My husband chuckles everytime he sees another "food" book come into the house...I have two shelves full of them. I thought Nestle's book was good because it was really instructive, but it read like fiction if that makes sense...
Some others that I highly recommend are
Superfoods (there are a series of these)

The Way We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter by Singer and Mason

The Worlds' Healthiest Foods by George Mateljan (this is a huge tome that i love)

Enjoy your reading this month:)

 
At July 27, 2010 8:36 AM, Blogger Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

Let me know how you like Lovely Bones.


Here is mine

 
At July 27, 2010 10:36 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

OOo. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on What to Eat. I've really been enjoying reading about your food journey. Your posts have been interesting and informative.

I'll look forward to seeing what else you have to share!

 
At July 27, 2010 11:32 AM, Blogger Lisa notes... said...

It’s amazing how little I have ever heard about the 1918 flu epidemic. I would like to read Diamond Ruby.

But I might be scared to read “What to Eat” and “In Defense of Food” because my eating habits leave something to be desired. I hope they will help you with your reflux issues. That runs in my family, so I need to stay alert on it.

 
At July 27, 2010 12:28 PM, Blogger Love Bears All Things said...

This is fun! My first time to take part...I have added several books to my wish list, Diamond Ruby goes there..I read The Lovely Bones.
Mama Bear

 
At July 27, 2010 12:44 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Great list! I read The Lovely Bones when it first came out and saw the movie recently. The book was better but isn't it (almost) always?

I started another food book by Michale Pollan, The Omnivore's Dilemma, but had a tough time getting through it. I need to give it another shot.

Diamond Ruby sounds great! I like that time period as well.

 
At July 27, 2010 12:51 PM, Anonymous bekahcubed said...

What to Eat sounds interesting. As a Registered Dietitian, I have a love/hate relationship with books on food written from a political/cultural perspective (which Nestle appears to have.) I feel like the discussion of politics (things like organic/non-organic, industrialized/non-industrialized, animal rights, etc.) often distracts from the message of how to actually eat healthfully-- but, at the same time, all that political stuff is just plain interesting!

 
At July 27, 2010 11:11 PM, Blogger Upstatemamma said...

I read The Lovely Bones a few years ago. I really enjoyed it. I am now googling to see if there is a movie. If so I want to see it.

 
At July 28, 2010 3:17 AM, Blogger Beth said...

Diamond Ruby sounds like an interesting book!

 
At July 28, 2010 5:25 AM, Anonymous Susan said...

I read The Lovely Bones a few years back - as I recall, it was an "Oprah" book, and I found it a bit depressing (as I find most Oprah books), yet good. The Defense of Food book does sound really interesting - I'm sorry you are having to deal with food issues, as food is such a big part of our lives. Interesting books on your list!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



Previous Posts
  • Disney, Day Nine
  • Kid Picks
  • She Likes the Stage, But Not the Spotlight
  • Our Beach Trip, Part Two
  • Our Beach Trip, Part One
  • Sidelined
  • Our Week
  • Off to the State Tournament
  • Classics Bookclub
  • Take Me Out to the Ballgame

  • Categories
  • Blogging
  • Books
  • Children's Books
  • Disney
  • Family and Friends
  • Fun
  • General
  • Hodge Podge
  • Life Lessons
  • Me
  • My Best Girl
  • My Favorite Boy
  • Running
  • Small Talk
  • Wordless Wednesday

  • Archives
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • April 2009
  • January 2010
  • February 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • May 2010
  • June 2010
  • July 2010
  • August 2010
  • September 2010
  • October 2010
  • November 2010
  • December 2010
  • January 2011
  • February 2011
  • March 2011
  • April 2011
  • May 2011
  • June 2011
  • July 2011
  • August 2011
  • September 2011
  • October 2011
  • November 2011
  • December 2011
  • January 2012
  • February 2012
  • March 2012
  • April 2012
  • May 2012
  • June 2012
  • August 2012
  • September 2012
  • October 2012
  • November 2012
  • December 2012
  • January 2013

  • My Reading Pile



    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Images from:
    istockphoto

    Powered by:


    Meter: