About Me
Name: Lauren         Location: Middle Tennessee, USA

Welcome to my blog! I am a Christian, wife, and mother who enjoys reading, running, and all things Disney. Stop by regularly for a glimpse into my life!
My Complete Profile           Email Me


Wednesday, March 21, 2007
Spring Reading Thing 2007
Last fall, I was not a blogger, but I was a blog reader. One of the blogging events I enjoyed the most was Katrina's Fall Into Reading Challenge. I read many of the participants' lists and found some great suggestions for myself. I began blogging in January, and I have looked forward to the Spring Reading Thing since that time.
I will admit that I am an avid reader, and I read with or without a challenge. However, I do need to broaden my reading horizons. I mostly read fiction. I hesitate to call everything I read fluff, but most of the books I enjoy are easy reads. I look forward to reading as a way to unwind and relax, so I usually choose books that will enable this. For the Spring Reading Thing, I am hoping to tackle a few nonfiction titles as well some fiction selections that I would not choose otherwise. I will also include some that are easier reads just because I want to!


My Spring Reading Thing List


Nonfiction:


I am beginning the challenge with four nonfiction books on my list. I have been planning to read the first two for quite some time; the third is one I saw recently on a blog. My father, an American military buff, recommended 1776. I probably would not choose to read this, but because I am attempting to broaden my horizons, I am going to give it a try!

Bringing Up Boys by James Dobson
The Innocent Man by John Grisham
Ordinary Days: Family Life in a Farmhouse by Dorcas Smucker (this may be more of a memoir, but I am including it with the nonfiction)
1776 by David McCullough

Fiction:

Seemingly, I am one of the few who has not read Jan Karon. Because I have seen her Mitford series mentioned by so many bloggers, I am including her in my list. I am already reading the Love Comes Softly and Mark of the Lion series, so my list includes books from those as well. I also plan to read the lists of other participants, and I may add to this when I see other books I want to read.

Echo in the Darkness by Francine Rivers
Love’s Unfolding Dream by Janette Oke
Love Takes Wingby Janette Oke
Love Finds a Home by Janette Oke
Forever by Karen Kingsbury
The Secret Life of Becky Miller by Sharon Hinck
The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian
Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon

Books I Plan to Reread:
I don't often reread books, but I plan to reread two during the challenge. I read both of these books several years ago. I remember enjoying The Posionwood Bible immensely, but I can't remember much about it. Additionally, The Double Bind, one of my fiction selections, includes references to The Great Gatsby. I plan to reread Gatsby before reading The Double Bind.

Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Bible Study:

I recently began studying my Bible inductively, and I am currently reading Luke. When I finish, I plan to continue this type of study in I and II Peter and Jude using a guide from the New Inductive Study Series.
Living with Discernment in the End Times: I Peter, II Peter, and Jude by Kay Arthur

Read-Aloud with My Favorite Boy (age 5):

Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary
James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard Atwater
Read-Aloud with My Best Girl (age 2):

With my daughter, I plan to read various picture books and poems for at least 15 minutes a day.

Books Added after Beginning the Challenge:

Thorn in My Heart by Liz Curtis Higgs
Chocolate Beachby Julie Carobini
The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards
Beyond Tuesday Morning by Karen Kingsbury

Labels:


  posted at 7:27 PM  
 





Previous Posts
  • A Day at the Zoo
  • Small Talk at My House
  • Small Talk at My House
  • Small Talk at My House
  • My Favorite Fing
  • A Day in My Life
  • Fun with Friends
  • Excuses, Excuses
  • Small Talk at My House
  • Company Is Coming

  • Categories
  • Blogging
  • Books
  • Children's Books
  • Disney
  • Family and Friends
  • Fun
  • General
  • Hodge Podge
  • Life Lessons
  • Me
  • My Best Girl
  • My Favorite Boy
  • Running
  • Small Talk
  • Wordless Wednesday

  • Archives
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • November 2008
  • December 2008
  • January 2009
  • February 2009
  • April 2009
  • January 2010
  • February 2010
  • March 2010
  • April 2010
  • May 2010
  • June 2010
  • July 2010
  • August 2010
  • September 2010
  • October 2010
  • November 2010
  • December 2010
  • January 2011
  • February 2011
  • March 2011
  • April 2011
  • May 2011
  • June 2011
  • July 2011
  • August 2011
  • September 2011
  • October 2011
  • November 2011
  • December 2011
  • January 2012
  • February 2012
  • March 2012
  • April 2012
  • May 2012
  • June 2012
  • August 2012
  • September 2012
  • October 2012
  • November 2012
  • December 2012
  • January 2013

  • My Reading Pile



    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Images from:
    istockphoto

    Powered by:


    Meter: